SkyKing162's Baseblog



A fan of the Yankees, Red Sox, and large sample sizes.


5.05.2004
 
ANTI-ANTI-MONEYBALL

I've tried a few times to write about the anti-Moneyball backlash going on, especially over at ESPN.com and on Baseball Tonight. Each time my thoughts haven't come out very coherently, but Jay Jaffe was nice enough to write almost exactly what I was trying to write.

I don't usually link to other articles, but this one is definitely worth reading.

As far as Buster Olney's Productive Outs article goes, the part that amuses me the most is that the anti-statistics movement not only tries to use a statistic to prove its point, but uses the statistic poorly. As usual, the argument ends up being something like, "'Cause I said so."

As far as ESPN baseball announcers go, the part that amuses me the most is that the guys who had pretty good careers (Joe Morgan and John Kruk) owe much of their success to OBP, especially Kruk who was approximately a career .300/.400/.450 hitter.


Comments: Post a Comment